Valuation Memos to Finance Committee:
Finance Committee Update - February 2023
Assessor Update - June 2023
The City Assessor is charged by State law with discovering, describing, and valuing property, as well as the ownership of that property, for the purpose of taxation. Annually, the Assessor prepares a list of these properties and commits the assessments to the City Tax Collector for collection. The records compiled by the Assessor are made available for public inspection at City Hall. The Assessing Office then reports to the Maine Revenue Services - Property Tax Division regarding its activities for the year. The most recent State Valuation and state sales ratio analysis is available here.
The fiscal year runs from July 1st to June 30th. Taxes are assessed as of April 1 of each year. Taxes are assessed for the year going forward, so for example, taxes assessed on April 1, 2022 are for Fiscal Year 2023.
- Fiscal Year 2024 - July 1, 2023 through June 20, 2024
- Mill (Tax) Rate is $19.15/$1,000 of net valuation, or 1.915%.
- This mill rate is used to calculate the tax due for both real and personal property
- Tax due dates: September 15, 2023 and March 15, 2024
- Late payments: 8% per annum
- Commitment date: July 25, 2023
- Tax appeal deadline date: January 26, 2024 – 185 days after commitment
The mill rate for the Bangor Center Development District (Downtown District) is $0.58/$1,000 of valuation. The due date is September 15, 2023 (one payment). This mill rate only applies to taxable real property. If you own taxable real property in this Downtown District, you receive two tax bills. Click here for a map of the Downtown District.
April 1, 2023 Forms
73 Harlow Street, Bangor, ME 04401
First floor, City Hall
Staff available by appointment
By phone or email
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.